Our Lady of the Assumption School complies with state and local fire safety regulations. Fire drills are to be held once each month that school is in session. All students, teachers, staff, volunteers and visitors are required to leave the building during a fire drill. A record of all drills is kept on file in the principal’s office.
Evacuation plans are displayed in every classroom.
MONTHLY REVIEW OF FIRE DRILL DIRECTIONS:
- It is suggested that each teacher review fire drill and evacuation plans with the students on a regular basis. It is important that students know how to act and where to go in the event of a real emergency.
WHEN THE ALARM BELL RINGS:
- All teachers and students stop their work, and quietly head for the classroom exits. Each class should move to their assigned exit door in an orderly manner.
Students should not take backpacks, lunches, or any belongings with them.
- Teachers should bring their radio and attendance materials along with them as they monitor students evacuating the building. Classroom doors should be closed, but not locked. Windows need not be closed.
- After their class arrives at the assigned area on the grass, teachers should take roll and send a student to report attendance to the principal.
- Walkie-talkies will be used for communication.
- When all students, teachers and staff are accounted for, the principal will contact the office so that the secretary can ring the all-clear bell.
WHEN THE ALL-CLEAR BELL RINGS:
- As soon the all-clear bell is heard, teachers may have their classes return to the classroom.