- Read-A-Thon Begins Sept. 9th through the 20th
- Back to School Night September 11th
- Thursday, September 12, School Pictures
- Thursday, September 12, 2:00 pm Dismissal Faculty Meeting
- Friday, September 13 Welcome Wagon - New students to OLA
- OLA Student T-Shirt Design Competition
Back to School Night: We will begin the evening in the OLA Plaza at 6 pm. Father Leon will bless the School. Then we will reconvene in Mulcahy Center where the Boy Scout Troop will present the colors. We will have two 20 minute sessions for parents with students in different grade levels.
School Pictures: School pictures is Thursday. We realize some students will have P.E. that day. We advise your student to wear the School Uniform polo appropriate for their grade level and change back into the P.E. Uniform shirt.
Art Trek- is coming back to OLA! Looking for parent hours? Want to be involved with your children’s art education? Artistic or artistically challenged but like art? Come join us for Art Trek, OLA’s parent docent program! No art background required. Art Trek trains parents to go into the classroom and teach the arts. If interested in the first meeting of the year is Wednesday, September 18th at 8:15 am in the Computer Lab. Just show up! We are looking for parents from every grade level to teach, help with set up, and clean up. For more info contact Trinity Shawley either via text message, call: (805)469-0626 or e-mail: Euphony333@aol.com. All are welcome. Please remember you need to be Virtus certified and Livescan. See you there!”
Scrip News - We have scrip (gift cards) for sale...check out our inventory in the office, or place an order from our large list. Use the convenience of our office to purchase gift cards for restaurants, Starbucks, Vons, Smart & Final, many fast foods and more. Our school earns money for every sale of scrip. Scrip is available during office hours Mon-Fri. Every $200 purchase of scrip = 1 parent hour.
Read-A-Thon -Our Reading Rock Stars themed Read-A-Thon has started! Your kids should be reading and logging those minutes. They can also start collecting pledges.
We started the week with wacky shoe day. It was so fun seeing the creativity. The rest of the week we have the following activities:
- All Week – Students, Teachers, and Aides will be collaborating on a Rock Star themed bulletin board &/or door. Make sure to check it out next week! The winning class will earn fun prizes!
- Tuesday: Crazy Sock Day
- Wednesday: Wear a T-shirt from your favorite musician, band or book and wear with your regular uniform bottoms and shoes.
- Thursday: School family reading time - oldest student to read a book to their school family. The event takes place after lunch.
- Friday: Rock Star Hair Day! Have fun and be creative with your hairstyle/hair accessories but please NO hair dye. Teachers swap classrooms & read! Teachers will draw a different classroom at Flag Salute and read a book of choice to that classroom after lunch. If you would like to help out and earn some parent hours please contact Crystal Drake-Morris at email@example.com. Thank you!
OLA School Student T-Shirt Design Competition is BACK!
Our Lady of the Assumption School is offering its students the chance to design the official T-Shirt for the 2019-2020 school year. OLA students can purchase these t-shirts and can wear them for PE for the entire school year!
All students in grades K-8 are eligible to submit their t-shirt design and the drawing must be related to attending OLA School. Designs must be turned in to the School Office by Friday, September 20, 2019
The winner will be selected by the T-Shirt Team and will be announced on Friday, September 27th at Flag Salute and the student’s design will appear on the FRONT of the t-shirt.
Lunch Table - This table is for our parents to drop off late lunches or forgotten lunches. It is located outside of the school library. There will be materials on the table to label the lunch. Please have your child check the lunch table for lunches that have been dropped off at school. Students will not be called to the office for lunches. Thank you.
Student-Parent Handbook- The Parent-Student Handbook can be found on the school website. Some of our new families will receive a paper copy of our school handbook at the new parents' meeting. If you were unable to attend the meeting, please stop by the office to pick one up.
GradeLink - Gradelink is the web-based program that allows teachers to post grades, and allows parents to view students’ grades and keep up on assignments. Today we are sending home login and password information. Please make it a habit to login and view your student's progress.
Parking Lot- Thanks to everyone for their cooperation and safe driving in the parking lot. If you are driving through the line after school, please assist us by using the Family Visor Tag in your car - it will help us identify your vehicle and get your child to you more quickly. As you can see, our entire staff is out there working hard to make our system run smoothly. One traffic note: there is no left turn on Dunning Street into the carline in the morning or afternoon. This stops traffic and is unfair to cars patiently waiting. If you come in from Telegraph Road to Dunning, please go around San Luis Street and join the end of our carline.
Choice Lunch - Our lunch program, ChoiceLunch, has begun daily service. Parents go online to order meals and may add/adjust/remove orders up to 9 am the same day. Go to www.choicelunch.com and enter OLA’s code: telegraph. ** We need a parent to assist with serving Choice Lunch on Wednesday. The hours are from 11:45 am to 12:20 pm. Earn parent hours as well as lunch credit for your student. Please contact Gina Ravenscroft in our office at (805) 642-7198.
Lunch Helpers Needed: Parents, we can use your assistance every day with lunchtime supervision (12 noon until 12:45 pm). The school staff supervise the lunch tables and play areas, but we can use additional helpers. It’s a fun way to spend some time with your children and assist us too. Consider coming at lunch any full school day. Simply sign in by the office, pick up a Lunch Helpers Guide, wear a name tag, and check-in with Karen for directions. Each 45 minute lunch period you are here earns you one parent hours. We ask that all parents assisting at lunch or in a classroom take the Virtus Protecting God’s children class offered by the parish.
School Uniform- Our students look great in their uniforms! As a reminder, students are required to be in uniform (or P.E. clothes on the appropriate day) every school day. All uniform items, including sweatshirts, must have the OLA logo and Dennis Uniform tags. Please note the rules AND DENNIS UNIFORM TAGS. Please refer to the Parent-Student Handbook for uniform combinations and guidelines. Proforma (link on our website) sells uniform polos, jackets, and tracksuits. Our office sells crewneck sweatshirts, as well as PE clothes. Parents, please put your child’s name in all outerwear. We hope that your child's clothing never visits the lost & found basket near the office.
Protecting God’s children is the initial VIRTUS training session required for adults who come into contact with children in their ministries. The program covers the requirements for an effective prevention program. The training is good for four years. We ask that all school volunteers take the training. For questions, call Dea Boehme at (805) 390-1260. It is also recommended that parent volunteers be Livescanned for the school.
Virtus-Protecting God’s Children
- Wednesday, September 18th at 6 pm - Santa Cruz Room
- Wednesday, October 30th -Spanish at 6 pm -Santa Cruz Room
- Wednesday, November 6th at 6 pm - Santa Cruz Room
Virtus - Keeping the Promise Alive - Recertification
- Wednesday, October 2nd at 6 pm - Santa Cruz Room
- Wednesday, October 16th at 6 pm - Santa Cruz Room
- Wednesday, November 20th at 6 pm - Santa Cruz Room
- Saturday, October 26th Fingerprinting 10 am - Santa Cruz Room
- Saturday, January 25th Fingerprinting 10 am - Santa Cruz Room
- Saturday, April 25th Fingerprinting 10 am - Santa Cruz Room
- Football: The OLA Flag Football and Volleyball teams will start practices this week - Monday, Wednesday, and Friday games will begin soon.
- Volleyball: Practice on Tuesday this week. We need a parent volunteer for study hall to enable students to stay after school until practice begins at 3:00. Please contact the school office.
- Cross Country: Practice on Monday and Wednesday
The school website at www.olaventura.org has the complete calendar, general school news, and posts from the teacher and principal.
Contents of the weekly envelope:
T-Shirt Design competition
Sharky's Fundraiser Flyer